Friday, January 18, 2013

Everything in and About London is Cute. It's Official.

Now, I'm not usually enamored by city lights. It's the grandeur of nature that really strikes my heart, takes my breath away, and causes me to marvel at the beauty of God's creation. However, just after takeoff, it was so cool to see the lights of the cities below me, and the cars on the streets really struck me. It was like a long strand of Christmas lights moving down the roads, but even better because of the disorganized uniformity of it all-the different speeds, the winding in and out and away from each other. Needless to say, I thought it was pretty cool.

Another thing that I think is pretty cool is waking up, looking out the window, and seeing a winter wonderland (pictures below. Also, there wasn't THAT much snow-but nevertheless it was exciting). [Shout out to y'all who went to the Horn Creek reunion in Kansas. You probably remember how enraptured I was with the snow]. Now, it was just a bit of snow, but it was still so much fun. I looked over at my roommate and said "we're in London...and it's SNOWING!!". Way awesome.

I experienced a rare and strange phenomenon last night. It seems that Londoners compensate for the cold on the outside by boosting their heating on the inside. We live on the top floor, so I didn't expect that a room too warm would ever be an issue. Which it's not an issue, and I'm not complaining, it was just very interesting. And especially lovely when we were able to leave our window open this morning and stick our heads out to watch the dainty snowflakes fall. Some natives seemed to be having a ball out in the snow, and made faces on the cars below us (pictures below); they were just having a grand old time. It's really great the amount of creeping you can do from the third (American=fourth) floor.

This afternoon we got to do a kind of walking tour for a little over two hours with the kind man who will teach my British Life and Culture class. (pictures and commentary below!).

Tonight we also had the privilege of going to our first show! It was a musical called Crazy for You which coincidentally takes place in the United States. It was a black box style theatre, located on the second floor of a bar. The stage was tiny, with about ten or so feet separating one column of people from the opposing side of the stage. Many of the characters had "south/west" accents, and they did an excellent job. It was absolutely fabulous, with lots of dancing (especially tap dancing!!!!) and I was very impressed. I'd definitely recommend that you see it if ever get the chance. During intermission, three elementary aged girls from the audience stepped down onto the stage and imitated the dancing from the show. It was so adorable and Caitlyn and I couldn't stop talking about how adorable they are! In addition, there was a live band, which provided a wonderful supplement to the show.

It's almost 2AM here...Goodnight all. Enjoy the pictures below!

Started my day with a red cuppa tea
with my red pants
isn't that cute?
 My cute street
with snow
The other side of my cute street
with snow 
 I like that cute blue door

 Some people were having fun making faces on the cars below
how cute
 So obviously we creeped
 Here's a cute London street 
 I don't remember why, but it's an important building
I just think it looks cool
 Drury Lane! The most famous street in literature
Like the muffin man
cute
 Yay red phone booths
how quaint
 A cool ballerina statue
[shout out to Kathryn]
The Royal Opera House 
 Another cute London Street
 This is at Covent Gardens, also the spot featured in My Fair Lady/Pygmalion
--the scene in the beginning where Dr. Higgins is listening in and meets Eliza Doolittle
 Punch & Judy bar: for any of y'all familiar with the Punch & Judy show
 Isn't the snow pretty here
 These parks are just so cute
 St. Paul's Church
 Caitlyn trying to eat snow
she's cute
 And yet another street
 Apparently the cool crest thingie means that 
British royalty shops there. NBD
 Loving that architecture
 Somewhere that way is Piccadilly Circus and more cool buildings
British flags 
Just some cool bikes that look even cooler with snow
Trafalgar Square yay 
Annnd the National Gallery 
A cool fountain in Trafalgar Square by what I assume is the Canadian Embassy 
 The Lions of Trafalgar Square
 Yay Caitlyn and I trying to keep warm in the snow
and that blur, I guess it's a snowflake
 Trafalgar Square and Big Ben chilling in the background
 A cool Oscar Wilde quote: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
 The Lion King!!!!!!!!!!!!
 The rest of that Oscar Wilde memorial
(anti-smoking people keep removing the cigarette from the memorial 
and if I remember correctly the cigarette has been replaced twice already)
 The River Thames is somewhere that way
And a double decker bus
This is Pickwick Hall
my new home 
it's cute
 And me
My hair was straight this morning
oops
 Another cuppa yum
  The stage
 The cute girls dancing during intermission
 Still dancing
 Still being cute
Also, the man in front of me had a fabulous grandpa sweater
[shout out to Trebek and her awesome sweaters]
 Oh and we got to experience the tube
 Ticket from the show!
 I got a bunch of brochures so I'm ready to explore this city!!



No comments:

Post a Comment